The Best File Backup Software – Mastered By Bacula
The file backup approach is core to Bacula. This means that Bacula will always consider complete files (with owner, group and permission attributes) when it runs a file backup job. For instance, an Incremental file backup will check if a file has changed and, if this is true, the complete file will be transferred to the Storage Daemon and be written to volume.
There are however, cases in which this is undesirable:
1) when you have big files of which only a small portion changes;
2) when you have a lot of similar or even identical files and you do not want to transfer them over and over again.
For the first case, Bacula Enterprise backup file software offers the Delta plugin that will change the file backup behaviour of Bacula to a block-based approach, which can save a lot of storage space if your incremental changes of files are small compared to the overall file sizes.
For the second case, our Global Endpoint Deduplication feature is the solution of choice. The deduplication engine will also treat your data with variable block sizes and will only write a pointer into the Bacula volume if a block is already present in the dedupe containers. This is especially useful in virtual environment where you have lots of identical machines (e.g. Windows servers) where the system hard disk files look nearly identical. The savings are enormous compared to the traditional file backup software approach. This is the best backup software you could ever have.
- Looking for server backup? Take a look at out server backup software.
- Does Bacula support your storage type? Take a look at out storage backup solutions.
- BWeb™ Management Suite is a comprehensive backup and recovery management software for Bacula Enterprise Edition that provides the data reports, core metrics and analysis that system administrators need to provide to managers.
- Doing backup to tape media? Take a look at our tape backup systems.