What is NDMP backup? NDMP backup software. Full and incremental NDMP backup.
The Bacula Systems NDMP backup solution makes use of the filer-to-server mode for easy integration into Bacula Enterprise Edition.
This tool reduces demands on the network and enables localized NDMP backup and disaster recovery. In addition – and so important in the real world – it provides a fast, easy and full restore. Backup NDMP with this software tool and make Bacula Enterprise Edition more powerful and flexible with NDMP than ever before.
So what is NDMP backup? NDMP Protocol is an industry standard protocol created to ease the process of integrating backup and restore for network attached storage (NAS) with data protection software such as Bacula Enterprise Edition. In fact many storage hardware manufacturers have already incorporated NDMP support as a feature in their products, which makes their configuration and implementation much simpler.
The NDMP protocol is an open protocol, an industry standard that allows data transfers between storage and backup devices directly, eliminating the use of resources on servers, not only memory and network, but also also the use of the network bandwidth. NDMP implementation requires the use of hardware that supports its operation, and these include NAS storage devices and tape backup units.
NDMP Backup Benefits
- Decrease in the execution times of backup and recovery operations
- Optimized use of server resources, as well as storage devices and network bandwidth
- Savings and optimization of the disk space
- NDMP offers the possibility of having more tools and resources to configure and define backup policies in organizations, for heterogeneous environments and diverse scenarios
NDMP backup can significantly outperform the one running against mounted NFS/CIFS volumes, especially when dealing with millions of small files and ACLs. With the NDMP backup software, average backup speed is increased significantly and the bandwidth load is decreased.
NDMP backup is designed ideally to protect NAS filers in major disaster scenarios. Bacula’s NDMP backup software enables full and incremental backups of the filer data, including ACLs, as well as its extended configuration and parameters.
Additionally, NDMP backup use in conjunction with specific backup features, such as Progresive Virtual Full, delivers excellent response times in NDMP daily backup and recovery operations, which contribute to improving performance and management.
Similarly, backup NDMP allows more resources to define policies and schedule. You can consider more variables and criterias in your backup strategy, such as: criticalness and amount of data, schedules, applications, databases, operating systems, etc..
Restoring a single file with the NDMP backup tool is possible either by using the built-in NAS snapshot capability or by restoring the NDMP datastream to a local machine.
Further help on NDMP backup:
- Don’t know about Bacula Enterprise Edition’s capabilities except NDMP backup? See the full feature list.
- Want to see our full range of storage backup solutions?
- BWeb™ Management Suite is a comprehensive GUI management suite for Bacula Enterprise Edition that provides the data reports, core metrics and analysis during NDMP backup.
- Training is available in different locations, depending on the Certified Bacula Systems Training Center you choose.