One of the new backup competitors which have emerged – with new features – as an option to previously existing traditional storage vendors is Veeam. Veeam Backup Suite delivers availability for all computer environments (virtual, physical and cloud) from a single management console. In addition, it combines the standards of the industry, including the ability to backup and replicate the information (with the use of Veeam Backup Replication), with advanced mechanisms of monitoring, reporting and capacity planning. To cover these different functionalities, Veeam offers different versions and multiple licensing options to give you the functionality and flexibility for your business needs. Let’s take a look at some of the most known Veeam competitors.
Among the functions that Veeam offers are:
- Administration of physical, virtual and cloud-based machines from a simple administration console.
- Easy granular recovery to specific levels of items or unitary elements of Microsoft Exchange, Sharepoint and Active Directory.
- Restores of Oracle and SQL Server database on transaction-level.
- Use of snapshots for the execution of the policies of backups which reduces the backup time.
- Disaster recovery in the cloud: fully integrated, safe and easy with Veeam cloud connectors.
- Integrated acceleration of backups to the WAN, which allows to transfer data volumes and replicas to external sites at faster speeds.
- Backup repositories in different destinations, easily scalable with built-in deduplication and compression.
- Implementation of the policies and actions of disaster recovery with a single click and with minimal disruption of the operation.
In addition to these specifications, there are also common features in Veeam and other enterprise backup solutions – including Veeam competitors – that have a well-defined operating environment for backup management. Among them:
- Simple and friendly administration, which allows users to perform configuration, operation and management activities according to the configured access levels.
- Ability to adapt to the diverse environments of operation which may include servers, storage devices, media libraries, local and remote resources, etc.
- Use of existing resources in enterprises, not only in the technical aspect, but also in the economic and financial aspect.
- Ability to grow with the company / organization, because of the easy adaptation to the needs of operation and information volumes that may arise, as well as requirements of users.
- Easy integration to the customer’s technology platform, for example for operation in network, sending notifications, using the information repository, generation of reports, etc.
- Implementation of different levels of backup that suit the policies and requirements of operation in enterprises. In addition to the traditional types used (full, differential, incremental), the software need to support backup consolidation.
- Storage of historical backup data in diverse and easily accessible repositories, with adequate levels of security and access, to be used for various purposes.
- Ease of use and management of resources in the cloud enabling the configuration of different destinations for backups in different operating environments.
In parallel with these new technologies, new approaches, paradigms and concepts have been incorporated into backup solutions that are competitors of Veeam, which have boosted their popularity because of their specific benefits, among which are:
- Use of open source.
- Reduction and cost savings in relation to the resources used in backup solutions, such as media tapes, storage devices and server resources, etc.
- Existence of multiple management tools and data repositories for managing the data backup of organizations.
- The ability to grow efficiently, according to the requirements and needs in the company, arising from operational processes, or from user behaviour.
- Tools for the estimation of resources, not only in the area of technology but also to different organizational planning processes.
- The use of resources in the cloud, without a doubt has promoted activities of backup and recovery, by all the functionalities it offers to companies, such as:
- Storage volumes that contain backups at remote sites set mostly in environments of high availability and redundancy.
- Different providers to choose between those who offer cloud storage service, for example Amazon, Azure, Google, Microsoft, and those who offer their solutions for internet platforms specific managed by them.
- Access from different sites and places and from any platform.
- Scalability to the operation and information requirements of the organizations.
- Shared and secure storage environment.
- Encryption of the data, both in the process of copying the information, as well as in the volumes that contain the backups of the computers and servers.
- Some Veeam competitors offer a more scalable, effective and convenient licensing arrangement, combined with higher levels of support tailored for large enterprise requirements.
Bacula and Veeam are among new applications for backup that have emerged as alternatives to the traditional, ‘legacy’ vendors and which make use not only of backup technologies, but also implement new concepts and opportunities for their operation that increase performance and efficiency, such as advanced management tools for interaction with the cloud, for example.
With Bacula being a highly flexible and complete backup solution, and with the features mentioned above, it become an attractive choice among the other Veeam competitors. Bacula brings a set of unique advantages that make it one of the best backup and recovery options to implement in a large professional organization. Among them are:
- The use of open source as a model for development and operation, allowing you to take advantage of a technology that is in constant evolution, in addition to being easily adaptable to the changes arising, and its implementation does not affect significantly the operation and continuity operational business.
- An especially broad range of features for virtual, physical and Cloud environments.
- The possibility to back up and quickly recovery data from the one platform. Bacula does it all.
- Native integration with MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle and SAP HANA
- Native integration with Hyper-V, VMware, Xen, Proxmox and KVM
- Best value for money, in a variety of ways. Firstly, Bacula Systems does not charge by data volume. As a result, Data centers and IT departments are free to grow in terms of data volume with no extra charges from Bacula for data volume, allowing them to keep costs right down. Secondly, all data can be backed up and recovered from the one platform. Thirdly, Bacula’s yearly subscription licensing model is low cost, and just as scalable as its architecture, multiplying its efficiency more than other solutions. Finally, Bacula’s support services are fast, highly qualified and especially efficient, with immediate access to senior support engineers, effectively reducing costs in the customers’ organization.
Thus, Bacula Enterprise Edition enables organizations to have a backup solution that meets all your requirements, is readily adaptable to the new ones that may arise, is highly customizable and is managed from a single management console, where you have access to all backup and recovery-related elements.