Citrix XenServer backup software. Citrix Xen Backup by Bacula Systems. Script for Backup of XenServer VM.
Citrix Xen is a hypervisor based on microkernel design, that provides services that allow multiple operating system environments to run concurrently in a single computer such as hardware, which includes CPU, memory, disk devices, network devices, etc. It is available in different architectures, both in IA-32 and in x86-64, supported by the fact that operating systems have implemented virtualization without special hardware support. XenServer VM backup is required for all Xen-based IT infrastructures.
XenServer virtualization functionality
- Secure isolation of resources between XenServer virtual machines
- Control of resources, such as CPU, memory, disk, etc.
- Hot resources allocation between XenServer virtual machines
- Simple management of Xen virtual machines in terms of resource allocation and configuration settings (that are necessary for migration operations, snaphots, monitoring and others)
Benefits of XENServer virtualization
- Abstraction of applications
- Protection of applications, databases and information by distributing them in different Xen virtual machines
- Execution of different operating systems on a single XenServer, which allows not only to save resources but also to take advantage of the benefits offered by each OS
- Dynamic allocation of resources and hot Xen VM migration, which facilitates the configuration of environments with load balancing and high availability
- Possibility of configuring a backup for XenServer virtual machines, which is not based on agents
It is important to have a XENServer backup strategy that goes beyond the use of scripts at the command line level or shell, which do not offer alternatives or benefits in terms of:
- Granularity while using Citrix XenServer VM backup and restores
- Execution of different Citrix XenServer VM backup levels
- Ease of Citrix Xen VM data recovery
- Scheduling of backup for XenSever from Citrix
Bacula Enterprise allows you to manage and execute the backup of XenServer VM configured in diverse environments, whether physical, remote or in the cloud.
Bacula runs natively on the Xen hypervisor platform. Thus it is possible to implement backup and restore of full Xen containers using Bacula’s integrated script support. A XenServer backup tool for Bacula Enterprise Edition is in development which will facilitate the use of these mechanisms and that will make the configuration of Xen backup via plugin options a breeze.
If you want to start with XenServer backup right away, simply download our Xen backup whitepaper which will explain the steps that you need to implement in your infrastructure today. The XenServer backup whitepaper will demonstrate how Bacula Enterprise Edition can be configured to backup XenServer virtual machines using XEN backup script.
Further help on XenServer backup:
- Looking for server backup solution? Take a look at out backup solutions for servers.
- Does Bacula support your storage type for Xen backups? Take a look at out NAS backup solution.
- BWeb™ Management Suite is a comprehensive backup and recovery management software for Bacula Enterprise Edition that provides the data reports, core metrics and analysis that system administrators need while backing up Xen virtual machines.
- Doing backup for XenServer to tape media? Take a look at our tape backup systems.