Bacula Enterprise Edition 10 was announced today. What makes it especially exciting is that it squarely upgrades Bacula Enterprise Edition to be one of the most – if not the most – compatible and flexible backup and recovery products available in the world today. For example, its addition of Proxmox and Xenserver tools into its…
What is top backup software? The most popular meanings and definitions of the top backup solutions.
When a backup solution is implemented, it performs tasks that may seem simple in essence (such as copy and restore), but actually require a high level of sophistication, as well as taking care of many details which must be satisfied to achieve a fully functional solution that is efficient and effective.
In this digital age, where data grows rapidly with the use of new technologies, importance is often placed on the availability of information analysis to offer benefits to users and organizations, allow them to satisfy their requirements and needs in an integrated and reliable way. It is fundamental that the data is readily available, both in quantity and quality.
For this reason, top backup software must satisfy the above requirements, as well as a variety of operational needs and functionalities, such as:
- User data and documents.
- Cloud storage.
- Virtualization of servers, applications, databases, among others.
- Artificial intelligence.
- Customer Management (CRM).
- Management of administrative and operational processes (ERP).
- Transactional and informational operational processes.
- Big data.
- Machine Learning.
- Internet of Things (IOT).
- Use of new approaches and methodologies of operation, such as agile, SCRUM, DevOps, etc.
Typically, most sources of information generation are of diverse nature and highly varied types. The flexibility and adaptability of top backup software makes it possible not only to address data in an integrated way, but to grow to an organization’s requirements, derived from both processes and user increase.
However, it is important to note that secondary storage may not be 100% reliable because many situations can arise, such as natural disasters, hardware failures, viruses and even user error (accidental or not) that can cause losses of months or years of data. This may include vital information for the operability of organizations.
Top backup software should enable enterprises to manage local backup scenarios (on hardware such as disks, tape drives, storage networks, and so on) and remote sites using WAN networks (which may well be at another locality or in the cloud), which is an option widely used today).
Taking into account these variables and conditions, in choosing a top backup software one should consider:
- The data to be supported, which in turn can help to define the mechanisms of data transfer. This should be done according to its size and the levels of security for the backup and protection of the backup volumes, taking into account the importance and criticality of the information for organizations.
- Execution of data backups in local and/or remote destinations. Besides allowing to configure an environment of greater protection, this offers alternatives and resources for the recovery of the information in case of disaster. An important point to consider is the administration of the bandwidth for the transfer of the backups, and for this several techniques are used. For example; deduplication, compression, encryption and decryption of the data.
- For the above, top backup software must also guarantee security levels for access to records and backup volumes, especially at remote sites and/or remote destinations of the organization, both in the process of transferring the data and for retention time. This includes accessing disks, tape drives, autochangers, cloud storage devices (eg Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure), NAS or SAN devices and online storage applications.
- Provision of utilities to encrypt and decrypt the information backed up in order to guarantee data integrity. This is regardless of where the backup volumes are stored. Encryption and decryption are elements that can increase the use of bandwidth. However, when backing up to remote sites and other destinations, the importance they have is greater due to the security conditions that must be met, and to avoid unauthorized data access.
- Use of data deduplication and compression technologies that help increase performance in the execution of backup and recovery activities, as well as saving resources both in bandwidth and storage space, whether disk, tape drives or any other media or device. To achieve the effective implementation of these techniques, it is important to distribute the process load between several elements of the backup platform so that all the load is not in one place, which could cause a system slowdown.
- Tools and/or utilities for the execution of backup and recovery activities, which provide functionalities to the administrators and users that facilitate the configuration, use, implementation and monitoring of backup solution. These may need to work from different platforms (browser web, application client, etc.), operating systems (Windows, Linux, Unix, etc.) and devices (computers, tablets, phones, etc.).
Originally, backup solutions were typically very expensive and therefore were often not implemented or successful in organizations. They were often considered a high expense. For that reason there was a need to lower costs, including that of hardware resources. The emergence of open source applications and especially Linux made it possible to use backup and restore solutions more widely in companies. Similarly, a reduction in some hardware and software costs now make it easier for organizations to utilize more resources for their business support platform.
It is important to have a top backup solution that provides an easy to configure and define tools as part of a Disaster Recovery plan, which allows companies to have a mechanism to protect and safeguard data to safe places and/or places in case of a natural disaster or similar. It is worth mentioning that this not only involves the restoration of information, but also all the procedures to be followed for the recovery, validation and normalization of the processes and operation’s activities.
Top backup software allows companies to be faster, safer, more efficient and more reliable. Bacula Enterprise Edition makes this possible and realistic. Above all, its most important characteristics are adaptability and ease of use in diverse and heterogeneous environments, both for equipment and operating systems.
Latest posts from our top backup software blog
The modern data center typically has a wide variety of databases, all of which have data that needs backing up, with technologies involved such as such as point-in-time recovery, deduplication, replication, dump or Binary, snapshotting, object filtering and much more. Each database requires its own considerations, but the outcome should be an efficient, modern, flexible…
Bacula Systems complements its advanced cloud backup and disaster recovery systems by introducing functionality for Azure. Its low cost data restore capability significantly increases data management options to Bacula users running Azure. Bacula Systems today added connectivity to Microsoft Azure to its exclusive Cloud Minimal Restore Cost (MRC) functionality. This new cloud compatibility combined with…