The Delta plugin is designed to analyze file differences at the block level and generate binary patches for the backup. It saves significant amounts of space on files that have few modifications between two backups.
To analyze differences between versions, the delta plugin stores signatures for each file backed up in the working directory. During restore, Bacula Enterprise Edition will restore the first version of the file, then applies patches on it for each incremental/differential backup in a temporary file.
Delta encoding is sometimes called delta compression, particularly where archival histories of changes are required.
Using the Delta plugin is a must-have when dealing with large binary files such as:
• Outlook PST
• Unix Mbox files
• SQL Database files
• VMware/VirtualBox/KVM images
- Don’t know about Bacula Enterprise Edition’s capabilities? See the full feature list.
- Want to see our full range of plugins?
- BWeb™ Management Suite is a comprehensive GUI management suite for Bacula Enterprise Edition that provides the data reports, core metrics and analysis that system administrators need to provide to managers. Contact us for a demonstration.
- Training is available in different locations, depending on the Certified Bacula Systems Training Center you choose.