Active Directory backup 2007, 2008, 2012, 2012R2 with Bacula Enterprise. The fast and easy way to backup LDAP and OpenLDAP at object level
What is LDAP and Active Directory?
A directory solution is a structure that stores information about computers and devices on the network, including user and software configurations. Its installation and implementation is done on the servers called domain controllers, and may contain replicas on various computers in the organization located in local or remote areas. Backup of Active Directory is vital for organization’s business continuity.
Benefits of LDAP and Active Directory
- The central repository of information which facilitates the administration of the network and its resources
- The stored data has robust and reliable security mechanisms with powerful access controls (however, AD backup is mandatory)
- LDAP and Active Directory are easy to scale, support multiple platforms and have standard features and APIs for each of them
- The Active Directory structure can be distributed on several servers and has tools to integrate with other standard applications for business directories, such as DNS and DHCP
The backup of Active Directory is vitally important since the data loss can have a negative impact on the day-to-day business operations. In addition Active Directory data must be consistent and complete in order to guarantee the integrity of the data, which must be recovered through various Active Directory recovery techniques and strategies.
Whatever directory server your company chooses, Bacula Enterprise Directory Server tool will backup Active Directory easily and efficiently as well as restore quickly. Without using Bacula, the Active Directory backup operations would have to be done manually with the use of scheduled tasks, crontabs or command line scripts. The Bacula Enterprise Edition Catalog will handle Active Directory object size and modification and, as a Bacula Administrator, you will be allowed to restore AD backup objects at the finest granularity.
Bacula Enterprises’ unique Active Directory backup capabilities allow you to bring backed up data into play with Bacula’s wider range of features, presenting you with a huge choice of flexibility, customization and advanced enterprise-level options in a simple, easy-to-use and scalable operating environment. Bacula Enterprise Edition is one of the most powerful and scalable Active Directory backup and restore solutions in the world.
LDAP backup and restore
Imagine this – you just need one single LDAP object to restore from backup. With Bacula Enterprise Edition’s Directory Server technology, this becomes reality. This backup of LDAP allows you to restore any backed up object. Even more, you can relocate objects or decide to restore them with some constraints: always, never, if the object is newer or older!
Backup Active Directory
Microsoft standards can be very specific and the Microsoft Active Directory Server backup is no exception. For instance, MS AD queries are different compared to the standard LDAP ones, and the code is specific as well. However, Bacula Enterprise Edition offers unique technologies to handle each environment, including Tombstone recovery. Now it is not necessary to manage specific fields and directory server structures and instead rely on Bacula Enterprise solution for AD backup.
With this feature you are now ready to backup Active Directory on Windows 2007, 2008, 2012, 2012R2 and higher versions, connecting it through the standard AD network protocol.
How OpenLDAP backup works
Simply set up the right configuration parameters such as LDAP URI, the base distinguish name (base DN), the backup LDAP user and password, and you are ready to go.
LDAP Backup — Key Benefits
• Supports full, differential and incremental LDAP backup
• Accurate mode support
• Object size and modification time handled by Bacula Catalog
• LDIF – like internal archive format
• Object relocation during re-store
• Supports several replace options: always, never, ifnewer, ifolder
• Connects to the LDAP server using LDAP network protocol
Further help to successfully backup LDAP and OpenLDAP:
- Need to see all our backup tools? Take a look at the most frequent virtual machine backup solutions and database backup solutions.
- Need more Windows-related backup solutions except backups of Active Directory server? Take a look at our Windows bare metal restore and Windows server backup software.
- Looking for LDAP or OpenLDAP backup? Check out our Linux server backup solutions.
- BWeb™ Management Suite is a comprehensive GUI management suite for Bacula Enterprise Edition that provides the data reports, core metrics and analysis that system administrators need to provide to managers.
- Training is available in different locations, depending on the Certified Bacula Systems Training Center you choose.