Industry-leading VMware Backup Software. The best VMware backup solution. vSphere and ESXi Backup.
VMware ESXi is a “bare metal” hypervisor which does not run in an external operating system, but is incorporated in the core of it. For its execution it relies on a Linux system prepared to execute the processes of the hypervisor and VMware virtualization components. Until version 3.5u4 its executable base code was in 32 bits, from version 4 (vSphere) it became 64 bits, so its requirements are higher but its performance is higher with more efficient, robust and reliable.
Bacula Systems’ VMware backup solution is used to perform VMware ESXi backups and especially fast data recovery of your VMware ESXi hosts using vSphere with Bacula Enterprise Edition 8. Our VMware backup software also provides fast ESXi virtual machine bare metal recovery and especially quick Single File Restore which is reducing the time of re-installation and recovery of the virtualization host in case of any failure.
This VMware backup software also enables users to backup VMware ESXi at guest level. The Bacula’s VMware backup solution can work either over a SAN or via Network Block Device. Our VMware backup tool integrates VMware’s Changed Block Tracking (CBT) technology to ensure that only the blocks that were modified since the initial Full, or the previous Differential or Incremental backup are relayed to the current Differential or Incremental vSphere backup stream, providing markedly more efficient ESXi backups, lighter network load and optimization of the disk space. Using our VMware ESXi backup software together with Progressive Virtual Full dramatically reduces disk storage utilization and lowers the I/O operations as well.
This Single File Restore capability for VMware backup solution comes with industry-leading speed and convenience. Finding and restoring single files is now so fast and easy, you need to see it to believe it. This is done from any of the management consoles with a few clicks in the web environment or GUI by indicating some criteria or parameters from CLI.
Key Benefits of VMware Backup Solution from Bacula Systems:
• Single File Restore out of VMware vSphere backups
• VADP-based online backups
• VSS-based guest snapshots for quiescing VSS-based applications while ESXi virtual machines backup (the data in applications like Exchange, MS AD, MS SQL Server or Sharepoint will always be accurate and accessible)
• Full, Differential and Incremental image-level backups of VMware virtual machines (all VM disks and configs are available for recovery)
• Restores complete ESXi virtual machine image from backup
• Restores vmdk files to alternate directory
• Supports both TCP/IP and SAN (FC/ISCSI) VMware Datastore access
• vStorage API Data Protection
Our VMware backup tool is available for the following platforms:
- RHEL 5 and 6, 64bit
- Debian Squeeze 6 64bit
Our VMware backup solution is compatible with Bacula Enterprise 6.x and higher. Backup VMware ESX or ESXi versions 4.0, 4.1, 5.1, 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0 and 6.5 with the vStorage API enabled.
Our VMware backup software can store ESXi VM backups to:
VMware Backup Software Functionality
• Reduction of the VMware VM recovery execution times to the same or another hardware in the case of bare metal recovery
• Flexible management of the locations where VMware ESXi backups are made which may include local disks, NAS, SAN, tapes, autochanger, cloud, etc..
• Backups of the images from the host master instead of the backup of VMware virtual machines which facilitates the administration and configuration of the backups, as well as optimizing the management of the agents (however you can make VMware ESXi backup and recovery from the VMs as well)
• Compression of ESXi data backup which decreases the use of resources used for storage and network
• Encryption of the information copied in the VMware backup volumes as well as in the transmission channel during the VMware ESXi backup and recovery operations
• The use of deduplication for vSphere backup operations brings significant benefits in performance since only the necessary objects that have been modified are copied
• Easy and agile implementation of VMware client backup scheduling with the most advanced operation and administration options
Rapid File-Level Recovery in VMware environments. So fast. So simple.
Bacula Enterprise Edition’s file level recovery for VMware vSphere delivers user-friendly rapid recovery combined with usability. Locating and restoring individual files is so quick and convenient, life has never been easier for a sysadmin. Across complete physical environments, from virtual machines, to entire servers, apps, specific folders or files: even granular application objects, this high performance backup of VMware VMs combined with Bacula Enterprise scales up for advanced ESXi backup and data restore in even the largest data centers. All delivered with a cost efficiency that is second to none.
Single File Restore for VMware VM backup software becomes particularly useful when you need to restore from a backup of VMware virtual machine a critical data file that has become corrupted or lost for some reason. Want to avoid restoring from the backup of the entire VMware virtual machine? Frequently, recovery cases only require single files to be restored from a backup of VMware VM. In these cases, you can now save yourself a lot of effort and time – and just recover the individual files that you need from vSphere VM backups.
Perform Single File Restore From a Huge Range of VMware Solutions
Bacula Enterprise Edition can do File Level Restores (FLR) for any virtual machine running Guest OS’s and file systems that VMware supports. Bacula’s Single File Restore for VMware VMs is compatible with an impressive range of systems, including Linux, Windows, LVM support, EXT3, EXT4, and XFS, Windows FAT, NTFS, multidrive – and many more. Full, differential and incremental VMware backups are all supported. The Single File Restore feature works over SAN or via NBD.
Enjoy Interface Flexibility When Doing Backup of VMware VMs
Single File Restore can be via either text interface, or BWeb Management Suite. So you get the opportunity to use customized scripts, or use an easy, informative GUI interface to backup VMware. Or mix and match as you require.
Verification of the integrity and consistency of the ESXi or vSphere backup data
Bacula Enterprise performs the check of VMware backup and recovery operations. This is done during the execution phase or by configuring and running verification jobs that allow these checks to be carried out.
What are the advantages obtained with the verification of VMware backups? Although there are multiple advantages, the main one is to validate the consistency of the backed up data since it can be affected by various factors that decrease its usefulness such as physical disk errors, logical software errors or changes in the permissions of the objects.
Faster and more effective VMware ESXi Backup with Global Endpoint Deduplication and Progressive Virtual Full
Further speed and productivity improvements while doing VMware ESXI backup are typically possible with Bacula Systems’ unique Global Endpoint Deduplication, along with a spectrum of special VMware utilities for advanced control. Global Endpoint Deduplication is a high performance technology that optimizes data at the block level, then stores just the new blocks – using references in Bacula volumes to blocks that are kept in the Deduplication engine. This VMware VM backup technology saves significant storage space and also network bandwidth during vSphere backup; this works principally by only sending (via the File Daemon) unknown blocks to the Storage Daemon. VMware backup solution is available with our innovative Progressive Virtual Full technology allowing users to consolidate incremental VMware backups and create Virtual Full. This VMware VM backup technology saves resources on the client side by getting data from local storage, and putting everything together to build the new ‘Full’, locally.
Use of the S3 and Azure tools for the backup to the cloud of VMware VM images in ESXi and vSphere
With the configuration and implementation of the Bacula tool for S3 and Azure, you get multiple benefits such as flexibility, security and compatibility. The backups for ESXi and vSphere to the cloud allow to create safer IT environments and scenarios for recovery in case of situations or disaster. The use of the VMware cloud backup tool allows to significantly optimize the costs and resources of storage in the cloud due to the exclusive functionality of Minimal Restore Cost (MRC) which offers the possibility of reducing the data to be restored from the cloud. Its implementation includes the functionality to manage the bandwidth of the network while transferring data to and from S3 and Azure clouds.
Further help on VMware backup solution:
- Do you run other applications inside VMware virtual machines? Take a look at our database backup solutions.
- Also using Microsoft virtualization except VMware virtual machines? Take a look at our backup of Hyper V.
- Don’t know about Bacula Enterprise Edition’s capabilities except vSphere VM backup? See the full product description.
- BWeb™ Management Suite is a comprehensive GUI management suite for Bacula Enterprise Edition that provides the data reports, core metrics and analysis that system administrators need to provide to managers.